Each year, in this county alone, over 45,000 new court proceedings are filed. In each of these cases, it is the goal of our local court system to guarantee for each citizen that promise inscribed above the entrance to the Onslow County Courthouse:
EQUAL AND EXACT JUSTICE TO ALL
These web pages provide a brief overview and roadmap to navigate through our local court facilities. It is not intended to provide legal advice, which should be obtained from a qualified attorney.
Onslow County was recognized in 1731, and sits on the coast between Carteret County on the north, and Pender County on the south. It was named for Arthur Onslow, who was speaker of the British House of Commons for 33 years. Our local court facilities are primarily housed in the Old Courthouse and the Summersill Building, located adjacent to each other, in the downtown area of Jacksonville, the county seat. Visitors to Onslow County will also find:
- Camp Lejeune Marine Base, a huge facility spreading over 170 square miles and home of the II Marine Expeditionary Force, as well as the Marine Corps Air Station at New River.
- The New River, having a width of several miles below Jacksonville, and being the only river in North Carolina to have both its headwaters and mouth in the same county.
- Beautiful beaches, running from Swansboro through Camp Lejeune to Topsail Island.
- Coastal Carolina Community College, with its main campus located on Western Boulevard, offering a wide array of both day and evening classes.
- The towns and communities of Swansboro, Richlands, Holly Ridge, North Topsail Beach, and Sneads Ferry.