Child Victim Advocate Coordinator
Maryann Adkins - 910-341-1437
The Child Victim Assistance Program (CVAP)
is an invaluable resource for child victims and their families during their involvement with the criminal court process. This is a joint effort of the Attorney General's Office and the District Attorney's Office and has served the 5th Judicial District since 1993. The program is housed within the District Attorney's Office in Wilmington.
The purpose of the the CVAP is to help ensure that child victims are not "revictimized" by the court system by offering support to children and their families. Support and services include but are not limited to:
- Helping child victims and families access local community services such as counseling and support groups.
- Educating the child victim about the judicial system in an age appropriate manner.
- Assisting the family with Victim's Compensation (compensation through NC Crime Control and Public Safety), and other victim related issues.
- Keeping victims/families informed of court proceedings and parole status.
- Accompanying the victim while in court (e.g., during interviews, plea bargains, trial proceedings, or sentencing.)
The program also serves as liaisons for other local community agencies, i.e., law enforcement, probation/parole, Department Social Services, and Guardian ad litem
also serves as a tracking source for victims and offenders.
For more information contact the Child Victim Advocate Coordinator - Maryann Adkins at 910-341-1437
or through email (Maryann Adkins