Welcome to the web page for the Jackson County Courts. The information contained in these pages is designed to help provide information regarding the functions, services and programs of the courts held in Jackson County.
Jackson County was formed from Haywood and Macon in 1851 and named for Andrew Jackson. The county seat was originally Webster but was changed to Sylva by popular election in 1913. The old Courthouse on Keener Street was constructed in 1914 and has been vacant since the new facility was opened in June of 1994.
The Jackson County Justice and Administration Center houses the following offices: Clerk of Superior Court, Magistrates, County Administration, Sheriffs Dept. and detention facility.
Located at 401 Grindstaff Cove Rd in Sylva you can take Exit 83 off of Highway 74 and turn right up the hill. The Justice Center has two courtrooms one large and one small, both which have separate jury deliberation rooms in the back of each courtroom. The hours of operation are 8:30 AM until 5:00 PM. All facilities are wheelchair accessible.