Steps to take when Domestic Violence is a Criminal offense
- Call the police to report an incident.
- The police may arrest the offender or obtain a warrant.
- You may obtain a warrant from the magistrate's office located at the Durham County Detention Center, 219 S. Mangum Street, Durham, North Carolina.
- You will be subpoenaed to court.
- The District Attorney's office will prosecute the offender. You do not need an attorney.
- The defendant may be ordered to complete a batterers' treatment and/or drug treatment program, stay away from you, not harass you, surrender weapons, or go to jail.
- If the defendant does not obey the order, call the District Attorney's office and/or probation.