The North Carolina Court System Home
The North Carolina Court System The North Carolina Court System
  Judicial Careers Judicial Directory Judicial Forms Frequently Asked Questions Contact Us Search Search space
Menu Citizens   Durham County - District 14 Court Picture
Menu Courts
Menu Employees
Appellate DivisionTrial DivisionCourt Resources & ServicesOther Court Officials
Court Picture
   County / Durham / Programs / Domestic / Civil Steps  Print  Court Picture
Image Star
Image Star
Image Star
Image Star
Image Star
Dotted Line
Civil Steps to Take
Steps to take when Domestic Violence is a Civil offense
  1. File a complaint in the civil clerk's office on the 1st floor of the Durham County Judicial Building, 510 South Dillard Street.
  2. Currently there are no filing fees charged.
  3. A judge can order that the abuser not assault, threaten, or harass you; that you keep possession of the residence, vehicle, and your personal property; that the abuser stay away from you, your residence, your work.
  4. An order can be granted for up to one year and can be renewed before it expires.
  5. You must keep a copy of your order with you at all times.
  6. If the abuser violates the order, call the police.
  7. It is a crime to violate a Protective Order, and the abuser can be arrested or you can get a warrant.
Court Picture