Senior Resident Superior Court
Judge Carl R. Fox
Senior Resident Superior Court Judge, 15B Judicial District, Old Orange County Courthouse, 104 East King Street, Hillsborough NC 27278
Direct Dial: 919-644-4740
Fax Number: 919-732-4497
Born September 2, 1953 in Raleigh, North Carolina. Hometown is Mount Olive, N.C.
- B.A.,English, UNC-CH, 1975.
- J.D., UNC-CH School of Law, 1978.
- Special Courses:
- Advanced Advocacy Course, National Institute for Trial Advocacy, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, 1979.
- Executive Prosecutor Course, National College of District Attorneys, Houston, Texas, 1982.
- National Homicide Symposium, California District Attorneys Association, San Diego, California, 1995.
- Assistant District Attorney, District 15B Prosecutorial from 1978 to 1984.
- Appointed District Attorney, District 15B Prosecutorial in December 28, 1984; elected in November 4, 1986;
re-elected in November 6, 1990, November 8, 1994, November 3, 1998, and November 5, 2002.
- Television Commentator:
- "Open Court," Court TV, New York, July-Oct. 2003 (eight shows).
- "Trial Heat," Court TV, New York, Aug.-Oct. 2003 (three shows).
- "Both Sides," Court TV, New York, July 14, 2003.
- "Closing Arguments," Court TV, New York, July-Oct. 2003 (nine shows).
- "Catherine Crier Live," Court TV, New York, Aug.-Oct. 2003 (five shows).
- "Live Coverage of State v. Michael Peterson," WRAL-HDTV, Raleigh, NC, July-Oct. 2003 (seven shows).
- "At Issue," WNCN-TV, Raleigh, NC, September 26, 2003.
- "The Killing of Ramses-UNC Mascot," Busted, Animal Planet, Oct. 23, 2002.
- "State v. Wendell Williamson," A Current Affair, New York, 1996.
- "People v. O.J. Simpson," WLFL-TV and WRAL-TV, Raleigh, NC; WTVD-TV, Durham, NC, 1994-1995.
- "Town Meeting on Prisons," Nightlines, ABC News, New York, 1994.
- "Shoot, Doní t Shoot-A Three Part Series," WRAL-TV, Raleigh, NC, 1992.
- Radio Commentator:
- "State v. Michael Peterson," WCHL-AM, Chapel Hill, Aug.-Oct. 2003 (five shows).
- Criminal Justice Partnership Program, 1995-2004.
- North Carolina Courts Commission, 1993-2002.
- North Carolina Task Force on Substance Abuse and the Courts, 1993-1995.
- Chapel Hill-Carrboro Task Force on Violent Crime and Drugs, 1992.
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina District Attorneys Association
- North Carolina Association of Black Lawyers
- 15B District Bar
- Orange County Bar Association
- "Pioneer Award," NAACP, Northern Orange County, 1991.
- "Citizen of the Year Award," Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce, 1989.
- "MLK Community Service Award," Southern Orange Black Caucus, 1987.
- "Best in Triangle-Public Servant Category," Spectator Magazine, 1987.
- "Best in Triangle-Public Servant Category," Spectator Magazine, 1986.
- "Citizen of the Year," Mount Olive Lodge, Chapel Hill, NC, 1986.
- "Lawyer of the Year," North Carolina Association of Black Lawyers, 1986.
- "Outstanding Achievement Award," UNC-CH Black Alumni Association, 1986.
- "Outstanding Achievement and Service Award," General Baptist State Convention, 1985.
- "Distinguished Service Award," Saint Mark Lodge, Chapel Hill, NC, 1985.
- "Professional Achievement Award," Business and Professional Women of Mount Olive, 1985.
- Board of Directors, The Augustine Project and Ronald McDonald House of Chapel Hill, 2006-present.
- Advisory Board, Volunteers for Youth, Chapel Hill, NC, 2003-present.
- Steering Committee, The Family House, Chapel Hill, NC, 2003-2004.
- Board of Directors (Ex Officio), Triangle United Way, 2002-2003.
- Co-Chair, Orange County United Way Campaign, 2000; Celebration 2000 Committee, Habitat for Humanity, 2000.
- Lecturer for Festival of Legal Learning, UNC School of Law, 2004-present.