The North Carolina Court System Home
The North Carolina Court System The North Carolina Court System
  Judicial Careers Judicial Directory Judicial Forms Frequently Asked Questions Contact Us Search Search space
Menu Citizens Section Citizens Citizen Picture
Menu Courts
Menu Employees
   Home / Judicial Data / PRR / FAQs NC Policies & Procedures  Print  Citizen Picture
Image Star
Image Star
Dotted Line
Frequently Asked Questions about NCAOC's Policies and Procedures

What will I be charged? The NCAOC does not charge for the inspection of any public record. In accordance with G.S. 132-6.2, the NCAOC charges a nominal fee of .25 per page for any copies of public records. For extraordinary public records requests, the NCAOC may charge, as permitted by G.S. 132-6.2(b), a higher fee if, in the opinion of the NCAOC, the request will require "extensive use of information technology resources or extensive clerical or supervisory assistance by personnel of the agency involved." All persons requesting public records from the NCAOC will be notified of the estimated costs for such request prior to any production efforts beginning.

Are there records you are exempt from disclosing? Please click here for a list of records exempt from production by the judicial branch.

How do I request a public record? The NCAOC requests that all persons requesting public record(s), make such requests in writing. The submission of a written request helps to ensure the accuracy of the response to requests. The NCAOC accepts public records requests either by mail or electronically. If you would like to mail your request to the NCAOC, form AOC-238 should be completed and mailed to PO Box 2448, Raleigh, NC 27602. Requests may be submitted electronically by completing the Public Records Electronic Request Form.

How long does it take for me to get my records? The NCAOC will respond to your request as promptly as possible. The length of time for production of records depends on the complexity of the request. The NCAOC will give you an estimated delivery date.

Can I appeal a denial by the NCAOC? Yes, if a request or part of a request is denied, you may request the NCAOC reconsider your request. The procedure for appeals is set forth at Additionally, persons alleging that a public record has been unjustly withheld may request a pre-litigation mediation with the NCAOC by completing and filing form AOC-CV-830 with the proper court.

Who is the custodian of records at the NCAOC? The NCAOC is not the custodian for all court documents. The proper custodian for any document in a court file is the clerk of court for the county wherein the case was filed. NCAOC is the proper custodian for employment record inquiries for judicial branch employees. For a more expansive list of documents and their proper custodian.

Can the NCAOC certify records? The NCAOC is unable to certify records. We have no statutory authority to do so. However, case documents may be certified by the clerk for the county where the case is filed. Please note that a fee may be associated, as allowed by G.S. 132-6.2, for the certification of records.

Citizen Picture