The following are three ways that you can obtain a criminal record for an individual on a one-time basis:
- Contact the Clerk of Superior Court's office for a single-county record check for yourself or others
- If you would like a certified copy of your or another individual's criminal record, you may contact the Clerk of Superior Court's Office within the county for a search of records within that county only. The request for a certified search is made on Form AOC-CR-314. You can fill out the form online, print it, and then mail it to the clerk's office; the fee is $25. View a list of mailing addresses and phone numbers for the clerk of superior court offices in all 100 counties. (Select a county from the dropdown box, then click "Search.")
- To look up your record or a record of someone else's, public access terminals are available in the clerk's office to search and view criminal records without charge. However, such searches are not certified, and there is a nominal small charge for printing.
- Contact the State Bureau of Investigation for non-certified statewide record checks for yourself
Obtain your own statewide criminal record from the State Bureau of Investigation (SBI), with submission of a fingerprint card and payment of a fee – see "Background Check on Yourself."
- Contact criminal record check vendors for non-certified statewide record checks for yourself or others
Individual unofficial record checks may be conducted through third-party companies that will sell information to you. Each company has its own set charges. The N.C. Administrative Office of the Courts (NCAOC) lists on its website companies that obtain information from the NCAOC on an ongoing basis pursuant to a licensing agreement. The records that the NCAOC provides to the companies are accurate reflections of the data in the databases of the clerks of court, but the NCAOC cannot guarantee that the information the companies provide to their customers is current or accurate. View a list of companies that have asked to be listed on the NCAOC website.